Everton
10:15 PM UTC Apr 24, 2018
EvertonEverton
Newcastle UnitedNewcastle United
FT
ESPN FC  By ESPN staff

Benteke focused on Villa return

Christian Benteke could be out until October as he recovers from an Achilles injury.

Christian Benteke is ignoring speculation about his future at Aston Villa, and insisted he is concentrating on returning to full fitness.

- Lambert: Vlaar is not for sale
- Hughes: Aston Villa's summer so far

Benteke, 23, missed the end of last season and the 2014 World Cup with an Achilles injury and may not return until October.

But despite remaining sidelined he has reassured Aston Villa supporters that he isn't about to leave the club.

He told The Sun: "I intend to come back bigger, better and stronger than last season. Speculation is speculation. It doesn't mean it's the truth. What I need to do is get back to playing well for Aston Villa.

"And if some other club is interested in me they have to speak to the club, not just speak about me. Of course it's nice to hear this club or that club wants you, but it means nothing.

"My first ambition is to focus on my rehabilitation. It was nice to be in the USA with the rest of the boys on the club's tour -- even though I was training on my own.

"I knew the manager would take me to Texas. He gave me all those months off to recover in Belgium but now I need to be close to the squad again."

Benteke is already excited to get back to playing football again and has spoken about how much he has missed it while he has been injured.

"It's going to be some feeling when I can finally kick a ball with the lads again," he said.

"You know that look on a kid's face when you give them a ball to play with for the first time and they're really happy?

"I'm a grown man but I'll be as happy as a child kicking his first ball when I return.

"I can't wait to get back. I want to play football again. I've really missed it. That's the hardest thing about being injured, not being able to do what I really love -- playing football."

Comments