Real Madrid prepare John Stones swoop if Man United bid for Varane
The transfer window might be closed, but the rumours keep ticking. As always, Transfer Talk has the latest and greatest. See all the summer deals right here.
Stones' future could depend on Varane
Last week, Transfer Talk brought you the news that John Stones was happy to sign a new deal at Goodison Park, but only if a £38 million release clause was built into the new contract.
That was clearly a move that would pave the way for the England international to make his much awaited move to Chelsea. Right?
WRONG. According to the Express, Stones could well be playing at the Bernabeu rather than Stamford Bridge come next season if -- and this is a big IF -- Real Madrid decide to cash-in on French centre-back Raphael Varane.
Varane has long been linked with a move to Manchester United, and the Star says that Rafa Benitez has Stones lined up as a replacement should Man Utd stump up enough cash to meet Real's asking price for the Frenchman.
So all that needs to happen is Real and United have to agree to a deal for one of their young stars? Should be smooth sailing then!
THE BEST OF ESPN FC
- Bell: Liverpool fans make themselves heard
- Cox: Leicester improving | Why Poch should stay
- Okwonga: Man United's market | City's title hopes
- Laurens: PSG's pre-UCL issues | Hertha's curse
- Highlights (U.S. only): Stuttgart 1-3 BVB
- FC TV: Champions League W2W4 | LVG wrong
- News | Transfer | Toe Poke | Fantasy | FC TV | Podcast | MLS
Funes Mori almost joined Chelsea
Everton defender Ramiro Funes Mori has revealed he nearly joined Chelsea a few years ago, but failed to get a work permit.
The Argentina international completed a £9.7 million move to Merseyside from River Plate on Sept. 1, and made his debut for the club against Chelsea, coming on as a substitute during Saturday's 3-1 Premier League victory over the defending champions.
Funes Mori could have ended up at Stamford Bridge, as he and brother Rogelio -- now a striker with Mexican club Monterrey -- had a trial with the London club.
Former Hammer has chance to impress Pulis
Portuguese flyer Ricardo Vaz Te could soon be back playing in the Premier League after Telegraph reporter John Percy revealed that the 28-year-old has been given a trial at West Bromwich Albion.
Vaz Te, who made 51 appearances for West Ham between 2012-2015, spent the second half of last season playing in the Turkish Super Lig with Akhisar Belediyespor.
- The Liverpool Echo says that Everton will reward Brendan Galloway with a new contract now that the 19-year-old defender has worked his way into Roberto Martinez's starting XI.
- Everton and Aston Villa are set to duke it out for Hull City's Ahmed Elmohamady, who looks certain to leave the Championship side in January -- that's according to the Mirror.