Previous
Borussia Monchengladbach
FC Union Berlin
6:30 AM UTC
Game Details
SC Paderborn 07
Borussia Dortmund
9:00 AM UTC
Game Details
Next

Manchester City conduct investigation over Kyle Walker's alleged party with sex workers during coronavirus lockdown

Craig Burley says he has "no idea" how the Premier League will resolve the Champions League race.

Manchester City have launched an investigation after Kyle Walker apologised for allegedly hosting a party with sex workers during the coronavirus lockdown.

- Stream new episodes of ESPN FC Monday through Friday on ESPN+
Stream every episode of 30 for 30: Soccer Stories on ESPN+

The England defender is facing disciplinary procedures after a report in The Sun newspaper claimed he and a friend paid for two sex workers to visit his Cheshire home just hours after issuing a plea to his social media followers to follow UK government advice and "keep following the protocols" during the pandemic.

A statement issued by Walker, 29, read: "I want to take this opportunity to issue a public apology for the choices I made last week which have resulted in a story today about my private life in a tabloid newspaper.

"I understand that my position as a professional footballer brings the responsibility of being a role model. As such, I want to apologise to my family, friends, football club, supporters and the public for letting them down.

"There are heroes out there making a vital difference to society at the moment, and I have been keen to help support and highlight their amazing sacrifices and life-saving work over the past week.

"My actions in this matter are in direct contrast to what I should have been doing regarding the lockdown. And I want to re-iterate the message: Stay home, stay safe."

Walker and the rest of the City squad are training at home following the suspension of the Premier League. He has not played since the Carabao Cup final victory over Aston Villa on March 1 and is facing a club fine after City said they were "disappointed" with the allegations.

A City statement read: "Manchester City FC are aware of a story in a tabloid newspaper regarding the private life of Kyle Walker in relation to a breach of the UK lockdown and social distancing rules.

"Footballers are global role models, and our staff and players have been working to support the incredible efforts of the NHS and other key workers in fighting the effects of the COVID-19 Coronavirus, in any way we can. Kyle's actions in this matter have directly contravened these efforts.

"We are disappointed to hear the allegations, note Kyle's swift statement and apology, and will be conducting an internal disciplinary procedure in the coming days."

Comments

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.