William Carvalho has signed a contract extension with Sporting Lisbon until 2020, the Portuguese club announced on Tuesday.
The new deal ties the midfielder to Sporting for an additional two years.
The 23-year-old had been linked to a move to Arsenal during the January transfer window, but Sporting have ensured he will not leave on the cheap by retaining his a €45 million buyout clause.
THE BEST OF ESPN FC
- Marcotti: Believe in Leicester, Barca win ugly, Serie A drama
- Miller: Leicester heroes' rise | Why Liverpool fans left Anfield
- Evans: Man United's turmoil | Zouma setback | Power Ranks
- Corrigan: Torres hits 100 | Messi vs. Ronaldo | Super Bowl
- Highlights (U.S. only): Premier League | U.S.' friendly wins
- FC TV: Leicester keep it simple | Defining month for Arsenal
- News | Transfer | Toe Poke | Fantasy | FC TV | Podcast | MLS
Carvalho suffered a broken leg in the early weeks of the season but he has recovered to score twice in...