2018 Major League Soccer, Regular Season
  • Daniel Salloi (59')
  • Diego Rubio (85')
  • Khiry Shelton (88')
  • Mauro Manotas (2', 45')
  • Eric Alexander (87')

Khiry Shelton caps Sporting Kansas City's comeback over Houston Dynamo

Forward Khiry Shelton scored in the 88th minute to cap a frantic comeback as Sporting Kansas City recorded a 3-2 victory over the Houston Dynamo on Saturday night at Children's Mercy Park in Kansas City, Kan.

Forward Diego Rubio scored the tying goal just three minutes earlier as Sporting Kansas City halted a seven-game winless stretch against Houston. The Dynamo blew a 2-0, second-half lead.

Forward Daniel Salloi posted Sporting K.C.'s other goal and also had two assists.

The comeback gave Sporting K.C. (32 points) sole possession of first place in the Western Conference ahead of FC Dallas (29).

Forward Mauro Manotas scored two first-half goals for the Dynamo, who lost in Kansas City for the first time since Sept. 10, 2011.

Houston dominated a first half in which Sporting K.C. didn't even have a shot on goal, but the momentum changed in the second half.

In the 59th minute, forward Gerso Fernandes ripped a ferocious shot that was blocked by Houston goalkeeper Joe Willis. The rebound bounced toward Salloi, who sent a right-footed shot into the left corner to get SKC on the board.

Rubio entered the game as a reserve in the 85th minute and tied the game 43 seconds later. He placed a right-footed shot past Willis and into the top right corner to tie the match at 2.

Houston midfielder Eric Alexander received a red card by earning his second yellow in the 87th minute, leaving the Dynamo with 10 men. One minute later, Salloi fed Shelton, who sent a point-blank right footer past Willis.

The Dynamo were strong in the first half before the second-half change in dominance.

The first goal by Manotas was set up by midfielder Tomas Martinez, who stole the ball and tapped it over to Manotas. Manotas set himself up for a left-footed blast and sent the ball past Sporting K.C. goalkeeper Tim Melia just 90 seconds into the contest.

Manotas struck again in the 45th minute for his eighth goal of the season to give the Dynamo a 2-0 halftime edge.

Houston won the ball in the midfield and had a break up field, and defender DaMarcus Beasley chased down a pass as Melia came out to confront him. Beasley instead fed a wide-open Manotas to his right for an easy tap-in into the empty net.

Sporting K.C. finished with nine shots on goal. Houston had six.