PSG's Ezequiel Lavezzi unlikely to join Chelsea during January - sources
Chelsea are unlikely to sign Paris Saint-Germain's Ezequiel Lavezzi during the January transfer window despite their interest in the forward, sources have told ESPN FC.
Lavezzi, 30, is out of contract at PSG at the end of the season and looks set to leave after finding himself down the pecking order in Laurent Blanc's first-team plans this season.
He has made just three starts in Ligue 1 this season and the player is keen on a move away from Paris in search of a new challenge.
A number of clubs, including Inter Milan and his former side Napoli, are keen on signing Lavezzi in the summer on a free transfer.
THE BEST OF ESPN FC
- Bell: Liverpool fans make themselves heard
- Cox: Leicester improving | Why Poch should stay
- Okwonga: Man United's market | City's title hopes
- Laurens: PSG's pre-UCL issues | Hertha's curse
- Highlights (U.S. only): Stuttgart 1-3 BVB
- FC TV: Champions League W2W4 | LVG wrong
- News | Transfer | Toe Poke | Fantasy | FC TV | Podcast | MLS
Chelsea have expressed an interest in Lavezzi, but he is not top of their list right now after ESPN FC sources said on Wednesday they were closing in on the signing of Brazilian forward Alexandre Pato before the close of the transfer window.
PSG are unwilling to consider selling Lavezzi this month as they want to keep hold of their squad ahead of the resumption of the Champions League next month and their round-of-16 tie against Chelsea.
Sources in Italy have told ESPN FC that Inter remain favourites to land Lavezzi after tracking the Argentina international for some time and they want to bring the player to the San Siro next season.