Willy Caballero has hinted that he may leave Malaga even as the Spanish club insisted he is not for sale and said that they have not received an offer from Manchester City.
- Man City interested in Mehdi Benatia
- Mooney: Calculated summer dealings the new way at Man City
- Transfer Talk: Live blog
The Premier League champions are looking for a new goalkeeper and have been tipped to sign the Argentine, who was bought by manager Manuel Pellegrini during his three-year reign at La Rosaleda.
But while the Primera Division club said they had no contact from City about the 32-year-old, Caballero posted a cryptic message on Twitter, suggesting he will soon bid farewell to Malaga.
Estoy leyendo todo lo q me escriben. Les agradezco de corazón. Pero no voy a despedirme por acá y espero poder hacerlo como se merece.- Willy Caballero (@willy_caballero) July 6, 2014
He wrote: "I am reading all that you write to me. I appreciate it from the heart. But I am not going to say goodbye from there. I hope to be able to do it in the right way."
Malaga president Abdullah Al Thani denied the club is for sale and said he is keen to keep Caballero.
But he admitted that if the former Elche and Boca Juniors player is eager to go, Malaga would find it hard to stand in his way.
He wrote on Twitter: "Malaga CF is NOT for sale. Second, regarding Willy Caballero he is NOT for sale too.
"I am sure he's happy at Malaga CF. We didn't get any official letter from Manchester City to buy Willy.
"Me as a chairman of Malaga CF I would never let him go. He has been the best goalkeeper in those whole three years
"I mentioned previously that we can't keep him if he wants to leave and the end it is his decision and I'm sure being with us will be his best decision, Malaga CF are his number 1 fans."
City released Costel Pantilimon, who had been first-choice goalkeeper Joe Hart's deputy, at the end of the season and were linked with Caballero from October, when the England international made a series of mistakes.