United yet to table Arturo Vidal bid
Manchester United have still not made a bid for strongly-linked Juventus midfielder Arturo Vidal amid reports of concern over his knee problems, sources have told ESPN FC.
- Horncastle: Vidal throne remains in Turin for now
New United boss Louis van Gaal had been expected to table an offer for the Chile international -- but no official approach has yet been forthcoming despite reports suggesting a club-record 47 million-pound offer.
Vidal, 27, first identified as a target by former Old Trafford manager David Moyes, underwent knee surgery in May.
Summer transfer window roundup
- Premier League: Team-by-team ins and outs
- Transfer Centre: All the done deals
- Marcotti: Mind-boggling transfers
- Delaney: What did we learn on deadline day?
- Horncastle: European transfer grades
- Smith: Transfers more important than the game?
- Macintosh: We worship goals, not balance sheets
Chile manager Jorge Sampaoli said that was the reason United had not pressed ahead with a move for him, telling El Mercurio: "The problem in Vidal's transfer from Juventus to Manchester United for 80 million dollars is the doubt that Van Gaal has with respect to the improvement of Arturo's knee."
Juventus manager Massimiliano Allegri -- who sat out his club's recent friendly against an Indonesia Super League XI -- has expressed confidence that Vidal would stay in Serie A.
Sporting director Giuseppe Marotta has said he would have to ask for a move in order for the club to allow him to leave.
Van Gaal has already brought in one central midfielder, signing Ander Herrera from Athletic Bilbao for 28 million pounds.
PREMIER LEAGUE PREVIEWS
As we count down to kickoff on Aug. 16, ESPN FC previews all 20 teams in this season's competition. Can Burnley, QPR and Leicester stay up? Will the new signings of Alexis Sanchez, Diego Costa and Adam Lallana help usurp Man City's crown? Will Manchester United get back on track under Louis van Gaal?
But United fear they will be thwarted in their attempt to bring defender Thomas Vermaelen from Arsenal.
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger confirmed at a news conference on Thursday that United have made a bid for Vermaelen, but also revealed he would rather sell the defender to a foreign club.
Barcelona are reportedly willing to make a 10 million pound bid for the Belgium international, who is out of contract at the Emirates Stadium next summer.
Vermaelen played for Ajax during Louis Van Gaal's spell as technical director in Amsterdam, and is a player the United manager rates highly.
Free to play: ESPN FC Premier League fantasy
- Sign up for our new game and challenge your friends
- Fantasy Blog: Tips for picking your squad | New names
- David Silva and Romelu Lukaku in hot fantasy form
- How to play the game -- fantasy rules in full
- FAQ: All your game questions answered
- Transfers: Check out the latest Premier League moves
- Fantasy HQ: Email us with your issues