Marco Reus to return, future uncertain
Borussia Dortmund midfielder Marco Reus could make his return to the pitch from injury on Saturday, amid ongoing speculation about an exit from the club.
- Honigstein: Dortmund dominate lax Bayern
Reus, 25, injured his ankle in Germany's final pre-World Cup friendly against Armenia in June.
Despite his absence from the tournament in Brazil, the attacker has been heavily linked with a move away from Dortmund this summer.
Although Reus is under contract until 2017, a release clause can be triggered in the summer of 2015.
The clause had previously been reported as being a fee of 35 million euros until recent remarks made by Bayern Munich CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge.
During the Bundesliga champions' recent visit to the United States, Rummenigge told ESPN FC that the fee is set at 25 million euros.
This led to a war of words between the two clubs and also sparked further rumours about a potential transfer for Reus.
On Friday, Spanish media linked the Germany international with a move to Atletico Madrid, while reports in England credited Arsenal with an interest in the player.
Dortmund have all but given up hope of tying Reus to the club beyond 2017, and removing the release clause.
"He knows that we want to extend his contract," Dortmund CEO Aki Watzke told Sky Deutschland.
Watzke explained that the club have tried to persuade Reus to stay by talking up the fact that Dortmund is his hometown, while they are prepared to offer him a better deal.
Reus has kept quiet throughout the summer, reiterating that he feels fine at Dortmund.
He could return to action on Saturday, when the club travel to Stuttgarter Kickers in the first round of the DFB-Pokal.
Speaking to reporters on Friday, Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp said that Reus could be on the bench.
Meanwhile, Dortmund reported a turnover of 260.7 million euros and a 12 million-euro profit on Thursday.
The turnover dropped from over 300 million euros and the profit from 51 million euros from the previous year.
"Borussia Dortmund has again kept its promise. After the clearly transfer-driven revenues and earnings of the 2012-13 financial year in which, among other things, record earnings in the Bundesliga were achieved, we set ourselves the ambitious target of breaking the 250 million-euro mark for the fiscal year 2013-14 without money from big transfers," Watzke told reporters.
"Borussia Dortmund is growing sustainably, is very healthy and ambitious on the pitch, and has generated now a double-digit million profit for the third fiscal year in a row.
"The again positive results strengthen our confidence that we will pass the threshold of 300 million euros without any major transfers in the medium term."
Watzke also announced that Dortmund will get up to two investors on board until Sept. 30. This could generate some 120 million euros for last season's Bundesliga runners-up.
According to German media reports, Puma could be one of the potential investors.
"We don't want anyone sucking the blood out of us," Watzke said, and hinted that the fresh money could be used to tie key players to the club. "If we keep on selling our best assets, the future is no longer ahead of us."