Al-Ahli's Everton Ribeiro: Man United, AC Milan made offers for me
Brazil international Everton Ribeiro says Manchester United, Monaco and AC Milan all made offers for him before he joined Al-Ahli.
United Arab Emirates club Al-Ahli have announced the signing of Ribeiro, 25, on a four-year contract after reportedly paying nine million euros for 60 percent of his rights.
Al Ahli signs the Brazilian Everton Ribeiro on a contract for 4 years from Cruzeiro pic.twitter.com/qedjfnlO8Q- Al Ahli Club (@AlAhliClub) February 1, 2015
The midfielder, who was given his Brazil debut by new manager Dunga in September, had previously told ESPN Brasil that he considered United to be a "great team" and that it would be a "dream" to play in the Premier League.
However, he said United, along with Monaco and Milan, failed to meet Cruzeiro's asking price.
"Yes, there have been offers both in this transfer window and the last one," he said on the club's official website in quotes translated by The National. "We had offers and conversations with Manchester United, Monaco and Milan, but none of those offers could meet the expectations of my club Cruzeiro.
"The only offer that everyone was happy with, it was the Ahli offer and that's why I am here. It was the only offer that came close to our expectations."
Ribeiro said he had preferred the move to Al-Ahli as he hopes to help the club become the best in their home continent.
"I picked Ahli because of their project to become the top club in Asia and win the Asian Champions League," Ribeiro said. "I have come here for the challenge. Clubs in Europe also wanted me, but this is the project that appealed the most to me."
Ribeiro, who helped Cruzeiro become Brazilian champions twice during his time at the club and has won three caps for his country, said he remains hopeful he can continue to represent the Selecao.
"Football is a global game and everyone is seen around the world, so I have a great opportunity to prove my worth," he said.