Leicester City make move to sign Birmingham's Demerai Gray - sources
Leicester City are in talks to sign Birmingham City winger Demarai Gray after activating a release clause in his contract, sources have told ESPN FC.
Gray had a £4.75 million release clause inserted in the new contract he signed at St Andrew's last month after attracting the interest of a number of Premier League clubs.
The 19-year-old is regarded as one of the best young prospects outside the Premier League, and several clubs have been reported to be interested in signing him.
- Atletico sell Jackson Martinez to Chinese club for €42m
- How your Premier League side did in the transfer window
- Prem spending hits £1bn | Imbula joins Stoke for £18.3m
- Bayern loan Tasci | Doumbia to Newcastle | Sanogo loan
- Anderlecht sign Buttner | Perotti to Roma | Eder to Lille
- Fletcher to Marseille | Van Ginkel get PSV | Powell loan
- Fer to Swansea | Fazio rejoins Sevilla | Jones, N.E. talks?
- FC TV: Not sure Teixeira's worth the money | Paul Pogba
- LIVE: Transfer Talk | Done deals | ENG | SPA | GER | ITA | FRA
Bournemouth saw several offers for winger Gray turned down earlier this summer, while Liverpool are long-term admirers.
However, Leicester have jumped to the head of the queue after triggering the release clause.
Talks between the two Midlands clubs are ongoing, with Leicester hoping to tie up a deal before the transfer window closes on Tuesday.
Foxes manager Claudio Ranieri is keen to build on his side's fine start to the new season, and was alerted to Gray's potential after he scored in a preseason friendly between the clubs last month.
The teenage attacker made his breakthrough into the Birmingham first team last season, when he scored six league goals in 41 Championship appearances.