Arsenal in talks to sign Basel midfielder Mohamed Elneny - sources
Arsenal are in talks with Basel over a move for Egypt midfielder Mohamed Elneny, sources have told ESPN FC.
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is keen to bolster his central midfield options after losing Francis Coquelin and Santi Cazorla to injury and has set his sights on Elneny.
The 23-year-old, who left El Mokawloon in 2013, has impressed for Basel since arriving but has previously made public his desire to play in the Premier League.
Sources said Arsenal are confident they can agree a fee in the region of £7 million and are hoping to tie up a deal as soon as transfer window opens.
Elneny, who is under contract until 2018, is seen as one for the future by Wenger and he will provide cover in midfield as they await for the injured players to return.
THE BEST OF ESPN FC
- Bell: Liverpool fans make themselves heard
- Cox: Leicester improving | Why Poch should stay
- Okwonga: Man United's market | City's title hopes
- Laurens: PSG's pre-UCL issues | Hertha's curse
- Highlights (U.S. only): Stuttgart 1-3 BVB
- FC TV: Champions League W2W4 | LVG wrong
- News | Transfer | Toe Poke | Fantasy | FC TV | Podcast | MLS
In April, Elneny told The Cairo Post he had been learning English and added: "The Premier League is a big dream for any player, and I hope to move there one day.
"But I am entirely focused on finishing the season with Basel outstandingly, and then I will think about offers from any other clubs."
Elneny was part of the Basel sides that beat Tottenham, Chelsea and Liverpool in Europe in recent seasons.