Bernardo Silva seals move to Manchester City from Monaco
Manchester City have sealed a move for Monaco midfielder Bernardo Silva, making the Portugal midfielder the club's first addition of the summer.
The 22-year-old's transfer was announced on Thursday, and it will be finalised when the window opens on July 1. City confirmed that Silva will sign a five-year deal.
Silva was integral part of the Monaco side that won Ligue 1 and reached the semifinals of the Champions League, beating City in the round of 16 on the way.
He made 58 appearances for Monaco last season, scoring 11 goals and providing 10 assists in all competitions. He has also won 12 caps for Portugal.
Terms of the deal were not disclosed, though multiple reports put the transfer fee at about £43 million (€50m).
Silva, who will wear number 20, told the club website: "It feels great. To be honest I'm now at one of the best teams in the world. To be part of this club and to have this opportunity is great.
"I'm very happy to be part of Manchester City's team and I look forward to trying to do my best to help the team reach their goals."
After previously being linked to joining rivals Manchester United this summer, Silva said he was particularly excited to play under coach Pep Guardiola.
"If not the best coach in the world, he is one of the best," Silva said. "Of course when you have the opportunity of being trained by Guardiola, you don't say no.
"As we all know, what he did in Barcelona and Bayern Munich was amazing and we expect also here that he will win titles. It's great to be working with him and to have this opportunity."
After facing Silva in the Champions League group stage, Tottenham defender Danny Rose warned that City's new addition could be a force in the Premier League next season.
"I played against him away this season and he's the best opponent I faced," Rose told BBC Radio 5 Live. "It's a great addition and gives Pep Guardiola another attacking option."
Sources have told ESPN FC that City are also set to make a move for Silva's Monaco teammate Benjamin Mendy, another 22-year-old who could be Guardiola's next target following the release of full-backs Pablo Zabaleta, Bacary Sagna and Gael Clichy.
City's director of football Txiki Begiristain has made a couple of recent trips to personally assess Monaco's exciting young players.
Jonathan is ESPN FC's Manchester City correspondent. Follow him on Twitter: @jonnysmiffy.