Bristol City

Read

LA Galaxy sign ex-Union mid Pontius

LA Galaxy
Read

Racing Club's Lautaro Martinez has talks with Atletico Madrid's Simeone

Lautaro Martinez
Lautaro Martinez said Diego Simeone had told him what he needed to work on.

Argentina under-20 striker Lautaro Martinez has spoken to Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone about joining the club next year.

Martinez, under contract at Racing Club until 2020, will reportedly join Atletico next summer and sign a six-year deal.

Atletico are set to pay the 20-year-old 's €9 million release clause, and he told TyC Sports: "Simeone didn't call me just to tickle my ear, only to speak about his project.

"He called me up and spoke to me about the projects he has, spoke about the club.

"He told me about what role he sees me in and what I need to improve on.

"He also spoke about the expectations they have because Atletico [representatives] were here and were ready to get everything done."

But Martinez said the deal had not yet been completed and that he would stay at his current club until next summer.

"Probably this week everything will be resolved regarding my contract," he added. "There will be meetings.

"My idea is to stay and play the Copa Libertadores. I spoke to the club president, to my family and to my agent. I want everything to be resolved in order to play in the Copa."

Martinez scored nine goals in 23 league appearances for Racing last season, and has four in seven this season.

And he said he was targeting a place in his country's World Cup squad, adding: "My dream is to play for the senior national team and that is what I'm working for.

"I try to improve every day and give my all in every training session and game. A World Cup is the maximum dream for any soccer player and that is my aim."

Coach Diego Cocca, who resigned as Racing boss last month, believes Martinez has a great future and told TyC Sports: "I hope the people at Racing take advantage as much as possible of the time they have him."

Adriana Garcia is a Valencia-based football writer who covers La Liga for ESPN FC.

Comments