Arsenal defender Per Mertesacker has confirmed both he and Mesut Ozil spoke to Sami Khedira this summer about the possibility of the Real Madrid midfielder joining the Gunners.
Khedira, 27, was linked with a move to Arsene Wenger's side after winning the 2014 World Cup with Germany in Brazil alongside Mertesacker and Ozil, though a deal failed to materialise.
- Macintosh: Is it easy to manage Arsenal?
WATCH: Injuries overshadow United clash
- Cross: Welbeck out to prove point to Utd
- Arsenal/Utd swap right choice - Welbeck
- Wilshere: Tracking Rooney key to victory
- Wenger 'denied Wilshere holding role'
- Arsenal stars 'tried to persuade Khedira'
Reports in Spain suggest the midfielder has signed a pre-contract agreement to join Bayern Munich, but Mertesacker is always open to more...