ZURICH -- FIFA says sport's highest court has cut the fine Spain's football federation must pay for breaking transfer rules when Barcelona signed youth players from abroad.
The Court of Arbitration for Sport ruling comes 11 months after Barcelona lost its appeal against a one-year ban on registering new players.
THE BEST OF ESPN FC
- Macintosh: Can Tottenham win the league? | #FCdebate
- Lowe: Busquets vital as ever to Barca | Messi vs. Ronaldo
- Brewin: How Man City get out of their rut | Defining moment
- Neymar must maintain form | Ames: Champions League XI
- FC TV: Bayern in dark over Pep future | Alteti above Real?
- Highlights (U.S. only): Premier League | Champions League
- News index | Transfer Talk | Fantasy | FC TV | Podcast | MLS
FIFA says the Spanish federation must pay 280,000 Swiss francs ($272,000) instead of 500,000 Swiss francs ($485,000).
Still, FIFA says CAS endorsed its "efforts to protect underage players."